I am a warm weather kind of girl. I love to sit outside and soak up the sun and heat. So maybe that is why as soon as the weather turns “cold” (I’m talking 70s and 60s), I turn to soup to warm me up. I eat soup all fall, winter, and a good part of spring long, so I am always happy to have another great soup recipe for my soup arsenal. I found this tortellini vegetable soup from Lil’ Luna and thought I would give it a go. The textures in this soup just looked too good to not try it.
It was fabulous!! It was a beautiful, perfect soup. It has a nice, rich flavor from the Italian sausage and spices, and the tortellini is just a great textural addition. When you are cooking the Italian sausage, just leave the casing on, slice it up and brown it on the stove. Easy peasy. The tortellini is just such an easy thing to throw in there already prepared too – I love no-brainer ingredients.
- 4 Links Italian Sausage
- 4 tsp. minced garlic
- ½ cup apple cider
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 15 oz. can diced tomatoes
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 2 TB dried parsley
- 2 medium zucchini sliced
- 1 16 oz. package frozen cheese tortellini
- Brown and break up Italian sausage in a pan. Add the garlic and cook 1-2 minutes longer.
- Move meat to a pot and stir in cider, broth, tomatoes, tomato sauce, carrots, basil and oregano. Bring soup to a simmer. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and zucchini and simmer for 10-12 minutes.
- Stir in tortellini and cook for 7-10 minutes. Serve topped with grated Parmesan.