This is a recipe I got from a friend a few years ago. For those who are familiar with Cafe Rio, this is very similar to their Sweet Pork Barbacoa. For those of you who are unfamiliar with Cafe Rio, see if you can find one and partake of its deliciousness. If you don’t have one nearby (like us, sadly), this is a great way to enjoy it at home. And we all love a good crockpot meal…..as long as you remember to put it in EARLY in the day. It literally just sits there and waits for you all day to enjoy it. Awesome.
- 2 lbs. pork tenderloin
- 6 oz. root beer (or coke or diet coke, or caffiene free versions - they all taste very similar in the end)
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 c. salsa
- Put pork in the crockpot and cover it halfway with water. Cook on low for 4 hours.
- Drain all of the water. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir them together. Cook for an additional 5-6 hours on low.
- Shred the pork about 20 minutes before serving to let it soak in the juices. I usually turn it to "warm" at this point.
- Put it in a burrito, or in a salad (or just eat on the side - I will admit to doing that a LOT), and enjoy! :)