Sour Cream again? Well, after a long miscommunication with my husband, we ended up with two pints of sour cream and nothing to do with it. I thought we’d be eating a lot of tacos and Mexican food until it was all gone and then I remembered this awesome pie my mother in law makes with sour cream. I made it yesterday for mothers day. It was so hot outside and this refreshing pie was just what the doctor ordered. This recipe is enough to make 2 delicious pies. And if you plan on home making your crust, check out our pie dough recipe and tips.
- 3 cups water
- 9 TBSP cornstarch
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup lemon juice
- 3 TBSP butter
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 1/2 cups sour cream
- 2 cooked pie shells
- In a medium sauce pan, bring water to a boil
- While water is heating, in a bowl combine cornstarch, sugar, and salt.
- In a separate small bowl, add egg yolks, and slightly beat.
- When the water is boiling, add the sugar mixture and stir over medium-high heat, mix continuously until thickened.
- Add lemon juice and butter and stir until butter is melted.
- Add a small amount of the thickened mixture to the egg yolks and beat, so the eggs don't curdle and cook. Then add the egg mixture to the sauce pan with the rest of the ingredients, return to heat and cook, stirring continuously until the mixture is thick.
- Fill the pie shells half way with the lemon mixture.
- With the remaining mixture stir in the sour cream and finish filling the pie shells.
- Chill for three hours to set.