Lately, I have been on the look out for healthy meals for my family that are DIFFERENT from some combination of chicken and vegetables. We’ve done chicken salads, chicken roll ups, chicken casseroles, but at the end of the day, its still chicken and vegetables. Not that there is anything wrong with that, it just gets to be monotonous and unexciting. I was looking through a list of dinner ideas on Skinny Mom and came across this recipe that was a little bit out side of the box as far as skinny dinners goes. Okay, its beef and vegetables, but it still seemed different enough to be exciting.
We actually ended up loving this. I thought my co-testers would turn their noses up but we all had seconds, and equally enjoyed this the second time I made it. My only complaint was the amount of peppers. The recipe calls for FOUR peppers. First, peppers in Idaho are expensive. They are usually 75 cents to a dollar each. Sometimes up to $1.30 for ONE pepper, making this a pricey homemade dinner. Second, I thought it was pepper overkill. I pushed a lot of my peppers to the side. When I made this recipe again I only used two peppers and enjoyed it much more. Super easy, super low cal – 209 calories for 1 1/2 cups – and all the left overs were gone the next day. It has an official spot in my recipe binder.
- 4 bell peppers, diced (I used 1 red, 1 green, 1 orange, and 1 yellow)
- 1 lb lean ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 2 Tbsp garlic, minced
- ½ cup green onions, diced
- ¼ cup lemon juice
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 15 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
- 0.7 oz packet all-natural Italian salad dressing dry mix
- ¼ cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease a casserole dish and set aside.
- Cook ground beef in a large skillet, until no longer pink. Remove ground beef and discard grease.
- In the same skillet add olive oil, celery, garlic, peppers, and green onions. Cook until vegetables have softened.
- Add the cooked ground beef back into the skillet. Add lemon juice, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, garbanzo beans, and 1 TBSP water. Stir all ingredients together and simmer 2-3 minutes.
- Pour ingredients into the prepared casserole dish and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes until cheese has melted.