Every once in a while, my husbands high school friends some how invite themselves over for dinner. They say, “oh, we need to get together” and then someone says, “Yeah, lets go to Jacob and Kate’s house.” Wait, wait? Aren’t I supposed to be the inviter? Now I have to feed a bunch of guys… I usually try to do something I can have done a head of time and something that will fill big hungry guys. This time I did chili. This is a hit at family get togethers and I keep it on hand for occasions such as these. I usually forth the recipe since the whole recipe makes 40 servings. I was feeding a truck load of boys, but that’s a lot of chili! I will however write the recipe for 40 and you can cut it down as you need to. This recipe comes from the Silver Palate Cookbook and is also known as Chili For a Crowd. It really hits the spot on a cold winter day too.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 3/4 pounds of yellow onions, coarsely chopped
- 2 pounds sweet Italian Sausage meat
- 8 pounds ground beef
- 1 1/2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) tomato paste
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 ounces cumin
- 4 ounces chili powder
- 1/2 cup Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoons salt
- 4 tablespoons dried basil
- 4 tablespoons dried oregano
- 6 pounds canned tomatoes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh dill (dried is fine)
- 1/8 cup chopped fresh Italian (dried is fine)
- 3 can (16 ounces each) dark red kidney beans, drained
- 4 cans (5 1/2 ounces each) pitted black olives, drained (optional)
- Heat the olive oil in a very large heavy pot. Add the onions and cook over low heat, covered until tender, about 10 minutes
- Crumble the sausage meat and ground beef into the pot and cook over medium-high heat, stirring often, until the meats are well browned. Spoon out as much excess fat as possible.
- Turn the heat to medium-low and stir in the black pepper, tomato paste, garlic, cumin, chili powered, mustard, salt, basil, and oregano.
- Add the drained tomatoes, Wine, lemon juice, dill, parsley, and kidney beans. Stir well and simmer, uncovered, for another 20 minutes.
- Taste and correct the seasoning. Add the olives, simmer for another 5 minutes to heat through and serve immediately.