This is our family’s go-to fudge recipe and it doesn’t disappoint. I have made it so many times, and so many people comment on how much they love it, and then they usually follow it up with, “my fudge never turns out.”. Then I give them this recipe, which pretty much always turns out. You just follow the directions and it will be beautiful! It looks like a LOT of people love this recipe. It has a great fudge-y flavor and is pretty straightforward. The “new” recipe on the side of the Kraft marshmallow creme jar is only different by the length of time you let the butter boil. The original recipe says 5 minutes, the Kraft recipe says 4 minutes or until it reaches 234 degrees F (which for me took about 3 minutes). I have made it using just the time and using the candy thermometer and have gotten very similar results. The longer you boil your butter mixture, the harder it will set up. The shorter you boil it, the softer it will be. I prefer mine to be a little harder, but I know that is a personal preference.
One thing I have never tried with this recipe (because I am somewhat of a fudge purist) is some add-ins. I’m not a huge “nuts in fudge” person, but I have seen where people add 1 cup of peanut butter when they add their chocolate chips. I’m sure that would be fabulous!
This is a perfect gift for the holidays, or just to enjoy for yourself. 🙂
- 3 c. sugar
- ¾ c. butter or margarine
- ⅔ c. evaporated milk (or 1-5 oz. container)
- 1-12 oz. package of semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1-7 oz. jar Kraft marshmallow creme
- 1 c. chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- Add sugar, butter (or margarine) and evaporated milk to a 2-1/2 qt. heavy saucepan and bring to a rolling boil on medium heat.
- Continue to boil for 4-5 minutes, or until candy thermometer reaches 234 degrees F (or, if you'd like, boil for the full time for a harder fudge).
- Take the butter mixture off the heat and add chocolate chips, marshmallow creme and nuts. Stir until smooth.
- Add your vanilla and pour into 8x8 pan (or 9x13 for thinner pieces).
- Let cool, slice and serve!