There are probably a million recipes for chocolate chip cookies out there. I came across this one from a co-worker while I worked at the Testing Center at BYU during my college days. Someone was usually assigned to bring a treat every day of the week so work would be more entertaining. These cookies were so popular that we all made him bring the recipe the next time he worked. A few things about these cookies: they really do taste better when you spend a little extra on good chocolate chips. Especially the milk chocolate. Guittard or Ghirardelli are the best options. When I went shopping, Guittard were the same price as Nestle. Done. Sold. Seriously. Look at these babies:
The left is the semi-sweet chip and on the right is the milk chocolate chip. How can you POSSIBLY go wrong with that? And how could you POSSIBLY buy an off-brand chocolate chip. Please, please spend the money to get Guittard or Ghirardelli. You will be glad you did. Chocolate chip cookies can only be as good as the chocolate you put in them.
Here are the ingredients for this recipe:
Butter, sugar, brown sugar, eggs, vanilla, salt, baking soda, baking powder, flour, and chocolate chips. Nothing that you probably don’t already have on hand (except for maybe delicious chocolate chips)
Start by preheating your oven to 400 degrees F. Then continue by creaming together your softened butter and both sugars.
Next, add in vanilla and eggs. Mix well.
Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Gradually incorporate into butter mixture.
Add in chocolate chips. It seems like a ton, but this recipe will make about 80 cookies. It’s really not a lot of chocolate.
Scoop by rounded teaspoon (small cookie scoop) onto cookie sheet. You can fit 20 per sheet without any problems with spreading. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until just turning brown. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.
I grew up with a different chocolate chip cookie recipe. And they are delicious if you just want a standard semi-sweet cookie. They really are. People always love them. But these cookies are kind of like a Mrs. Field’s cookie. So buttery and rich from the milk and semi-sweet chocolate chips.
- 2 sticks butter
- 1 c. sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar
- 1 T. vanilla
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 t. salt
- 1 t. baking powder
- 1 t. baking soda
- 3 c. flour
- 1 1/2 c. semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 c. milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add in vanilla and egg. Mix well.
- Mix together dry ingredients in a separate bowl. Gradually incorporate into butter mixture.
- Add in chocolate chips. Yes, it seems like a lot. It's really not.
- Scoop by rounded teaspoon (small cookie scoop) onto cookie sheet. You can fit 20 per sheet without any problems with spreading.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until just turning brown. Allow to cool for 1-2 minutes before moving to a cooling rack.