These muffins are classic, full of fiber goodness, and super delicious. This recipe is one that my mother-in-law has modified, that she got from her mother. It is perfect for the fall (or any time, really) and is filling, which is nice for a muffin. This recipe makes a LOT of muffins (somewhere around 48), so you can either halve the recipe, or freeze a bunch for later.
Best Bran Muffins
- 4 c. All-Bran cereal
- 4 c. bran flakes (you can crush if you’d like, or keep them whole)
- 2 c. boiling water
- 1 c. raisins or dates (or other dried fruit)
- 1/2 c. shortening
- 1/2 c. applesauce
- 2 c. sugar (can cut back to 1-2/3 or 1-1/2 c.)
- 4 eggs
- 4 c. buttermilk (or, measure 1/4 c. lemon juice and add regular milk until you reach 4 c.)
- 5 c. flour
- 5 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
1. Mix All-Bran, Bran Cereal, boiling water and dried fruit in a large bowl. Set aside to cool.
2. In a separate bowl, cream shortening, sugar and eggs. Add to your cooled bran mixture.
3. Add the buttermilk.
4. Stir in your flour, baking soda and salt. Mix well.
5. Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.